Author Topic: can you tell me the details about webmin????.....  (Read 1397 times)

ashraful

• Yellow Belt
can you tell me the details about webmin????.....
« on: August 16, 2013, 02:41:42 AM »
hi,

can you tell me the details about webmin????.....

arjun.datasoft

• Blue Belt
Re: can you tell me the details about webmin????.....
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 02:47:24 AM »
Hi,

Webmin is a GUI based server administration tool for Linux/Unix systems.
Using any browser that supports tables and forms (and Java for the File Manager module), you can setup user accounts, Apache, DNS, file sharing and so on.
It runs from a Perl based web server running on port 10000.
It's also module based system so due to it's license structure anybody can create and distribute their own modules for Webmin.
It's designed to edit system files directly through the GUI using the built in web server and a number of CGI programs.
This makes it an excellent learning tool for new system administrators as it lets them learn the entire system in a graphical format allowing them an easier transition to complete CLI administration.

Thanks

helenlawrence

• White Belt
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 10:44:59 AM »
How do I change my Webmin password if I can't login?

soumya

• Blue Belt
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 07:54:29 AM »
hello,

Webmin distribution is a program called changepass.pl to solve erecisely this problem. Assuming you have installed Webmin in /usr/libexec/webmin, you could change the password of the admin user to foo by running the following command through SSH with root

access:-
/usr/libexec/webmin/changepass.pl /etc/webmin admin foo

Thanks,
Soumya

abhilash

• Green Belt
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 04:33:11 AM »
Hello Sir,

Check and see if your "caps lock" is activated on your keyboard. Passwords are case sensitivie. If you have changed your security settings on your computer to reject "cookies" for Latin Love Search, you can't login. Latin Love Search uses "cookies" to know that you have logged in and to set your computers language preference. If you encounter login problems, we recommend you download the Mozilla web browser for free and try to login in using Mozilla.

Thanks
                         Abhilash Datasoft
                      www.datasoft.ws

silgy

• Green Belt
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 01:11:05 AM »
haii......

Webmin is a web-based interface for system administration for Unix. Using any modern web browser, you can setup user accounts, Apache, DNS, file sharing and much more. Webmin removes the need to manually edit Unix configuration files like /etc/passwd, and lets you manage a system from the console or remotely. See the standard modules page for a list of all the functions built into Webmin, or check out the screenshots

Thanks
Silgy

mahesh1

• Orange Belt
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 05:35:42 AM »
Hi,

To change your webmin password you will need to login to your virtual server via ssh as root (this will require an ssh client such as putty)

If you are using Debian, at the command prompt type in: '/usr/share/webmin/changepass.pl /etc/webmin/ root xxxx' where 'xxxx' will be your new root password.

If you are using any other Linux distribution, then you can change you webmin root password with the following command: '/usr/libexec/webmin/changepass.pl /etc/webmin/ root xxxx' where 'xxxx' will be your new root password.

Thanks

nithin123@yahoo.com

• Blue Belt
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 02:58:16 AM »
Hi,

Where does Webmin store its passwords on a fedora machine ? Is it stored hashed ? or plain text and where ?

Nithin

amal@datasoft.ws

• Green Belt
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 03:00:11 AM »
Hello,

By default Webmin is using /etc/shadow file for authentication. All passwords there are encrypted!

It keeps a plaintext copy of the passwords in the /etc/webmin/virtual-server/plainpass dir.

Thanks,

TaengBulok

• Blue Belt
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 04:08:43 AM »
Webmin is a web-based interface for system administration for Unix. Using any modern web browser, you can setup user accounts, Apache, DNS, file sharing and much more. Webmin removes the need to manually edit Unix configuration files like /etc/passwd, and lets you manage a system from the console or remotely.