Author Topic: Can I install non Linux software in Linux?  (Read 474 times)

simonbrito12

• Green Belt
Can I install non Linux software in Linux?
« on: August 14, 2015, 11:30:53 AM »
Hello,

Can I install non Linux software in Linux?

Thanks

abhilash

• Green Belt
Re: Can I install non Linux software in Linux?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 07:11:13 AM »
Hi,

Using non-Linux software on a Linux operating system requires an emulator, which essentially emulates the environment for another operating system, like Windows.
Installing and using Windows-based software in Linux requires you to install a software program called WINE (Windows Emulator). WINE creates an emulated, or virtual, Windows operating system environment in Linux, allowing Windows-based software to run.
There are different versions of WINE available, each with various types of support. Starting with WINE 1.1.10, 64-bit Windows software support has been added. Later versions have been released to allow for both 32-bit and 64-bit software to run in the same WINE instance. Before downloading and installing WINE, be sure to check which version you should use. You need to know the version of Linux you are using and the type of software (32-bit or 64-bit) you want to install with WINE.
Unfortunately, there is currently no emulator software available for Linux to install and run Mac OS software. Project "Darling" is an emulator that has started development, but the emulator is not ready and it may be a while before this emulator, or another emulator, is ready for use.