Author Topic: Intel's Core i9 (Gulftown) Platform Review Benchmarks  (Read 412 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Green Belt
Intel's Core i9 (Gulftown) Platform Review Benchmarks
« on: December 19, 2015, 01:59:46 PM »

We know the general trend is unchanging: every new CPU generation is faster, smaller, cheaper. And yet, the new i9 from Intel will blow your socks off with its performance (and initially also a hole in your wallet!)

If you can't wait till its release early next year (only a few months away actually) here are some benchmarks culled from various sites who already tested the i9, also known as Gulftown.

Particularly for tasks such as 3D modeling and video encoding, the 2.8GHz Core i9 is about 50 percent faster than a Core i7 at the same clock speed.

Here are some test results by PCLab:

Not all tests show as large gains, as those limited to a single core or which didn't properly use their extra code threads saw smaller gains or even no advantage at all.

Some of this is attributed to the prototype nature of the i9 platform, as its memory performance isn't as high as anticipated for production hardware. Its memory speed won't be as high as on the quad-core processors, however.

Intel isn't due to launch Core i9 until early 2016, possibly early as January, and will initially reserve it for high end systems as it should have a high price and consume about 130W of power versus the 95W for most Core i5 and i7 chips.

KenryLee

• White Belt
Re: Intel's Core i9 (Gulftown) Platform Review Benchmarks
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 10:57:15 PM »
It was fantastic and I followed this story many sites already. But I can not see data like this before.